Sunday, September 1, 2013

Man vs. Mouse

Let me say at the outset it wasn’t my idea.  It was a scheme conceived by an engineer.  I don’t mean a train driver; he’s a brainy type who creates elaborate solutions to simple problems.  Our summer cottage is close to nature, and that includes mice.  Once in a while one of them gets in and scampers about in the loft above where we sleep.  With this I can deal. 

The solution was a two-pronged attack using the latest technology.  First he would build a barrier against invasion using cans of mouse-proof foam that he would squirt into every chink.  The foam would harden into an impenetrable solid.  The propellant smelled toxic, but I suppose it wasn’t.  Mice, the engineer felt, are a problem, and problems are meant to be solved.  I endured the odor without comment. 

The second defense was a system of traps, which consisted of plastic trays full of stickum.  The mouse would wander into the tray and be held fast by the goo.  No bait was needed.  I felt allowing the poor creature to die of starvation, or more likely dehydration, was cruel.  My sin, however grievous, was one of omission.  It was, of course, my cottage, but the engineer was adamant about the need and his methods.  I allowed the plan to go forward, and when it had been carried out, I left the traps in place.

During the nights of an entire month Annette and I enjoyed the slumber of the innocent.  There was no scampering of tiny feet amplified by the floorboards of the loft above our heads.  I concluded that the barrier had worked. I now summered in a mouse-proof cottage, which was a good thing.  Then, one night we were awakened by a terrifying racket. 

This was no familiar skitter at which we could smile and go back to sleep.  Something strange was in the house.  We are a family that believes in the equality of the sexes when there are dishes to be done, but at this midnight hour the issue was not brought up.   I got out of bed to investigate.  Out at the beach we are off the grid and live without the benefit of electric lights, but I had a heavy flashlight that could double as a club.  I seized it and sallied fourth. 

The noise was coming from the loft.  I climbed the iron ladder and had a look around.  There had been four of the sticky mousetraps near the top of the ladder; now there were three.  I shone the light around, but I couldn’t see where the missing trap had gone.  However, I went back down and reported to Annette that my reconnaissance had determined the 500 pound gorilla theory could be crossed from the list. 

There had been silence while I was moving around, but now the noise resumed.  With the clue of the missing trap, I was able to identify the cause.  A plastic tray was being dragged across the floor.  If we were to get any sleep, something had to be done.  Once again I climbed the ladder to the loft.

I shone the light systematically, and this time I saw him.  He was a plump and vigorous creature, but definitely a mouse of the species with which we are familiar.  He had somehow gotten his hindquarters into the goo and had been dragging the trap around by running with his front feet.   The mouse twisted its body and looked with terror in my direction.  I was an enormous beast wielding a ray of sunlight that pierced the soft and comforting darkness.  I was the personification of rodent doom.

I, on the other hand, felt no corresponding thrill of power. I needed a battle plan.  The loft is used for storage, and an adult human cannot walk about in it fully erect.  The mouse was over by the eaves.  I could crawl on my hands and knees and reach him.  I could probably overtake him, if he attempted to flee.  I could grab the trap from the side away from the mouse and carry it with my hand out of range of his tiny teeth. 

There would plainly be difficulties.  I imagined proceeding on all fours back to the ladder with the trap in one hand and the flashlight in the other. I had a smaller flashlight I could hold in my mouth, but images of the surgical procedure it would take to remove it from my trachea flashed through my mind.  And how was I to get down the ladder?

I could hang onto the ladder with one hand, but I’m not as agile as I once was.  Holding the trap away from myself during the descent seemed difficult, and I didn’t know what parts of my scantily-clad body might come within range of the rodent’s ravening jaws.

I could throw the trap and its victim over the side onto the floor below, but that seemed cruel.  There was also the danger that the landing would jolt the mouse free, and I would have the task of chasing a sticky and terrified creature around the cottage in the presence of a woman whose composure would be severely challenged. 

Of course I could hand the trap down to Annette who could take it out onto the dunes, where its occupant would eventually exhaust himself and die a painful and gritty death. I rejected that option without extensive thought.

 I returned to the bedroom.  The scraping continued too loud to be ignored.  We had obligations the next day and needed to sleep.  We dressed, locked the cottage, and beat an ignominious retreat.  It was 2:30 when we sank into slumber in our year-round home.

Aided by daylight, and ready with a revised strategy, I resumed the field of battle with the dawn. I was armed with a lawn rake to fish the trap from under the eave and a bag to transport it.  I reasoned that the mouse would still be alive. He was a robust opponent and wouldn’t have starved. I planned to drown him in the ocean.  Annette was shocked at cruelty I have not heretofore displayed, but I thought the alternate plan of bashing him with a beach stone would be more apt to haunt my nightmares in the years to come.

The honorable hunter tracks his wounded prey. Even if it’s a lion that has retreated into a thicket and may charge from hiding, he doesn’t leave it to suffer. It was with this thought that I mounted the ladder to the loft. 

The trap wasn’t where I’d seen it last.  I stalked it diligently.  I moved an inflatable bed, two enameled lobster cookers, and some plastic dishes with seaside designs.  And there was the trap.  It held patches of mouse fur, but no body parts or blood. My adversary was free. Presumably he ran through the unblocked passage and out into the wild.

If he could talk, what a story he'd have to tell – an evil snare, a sunlight wielding giant, and at last escape. Proudly displaying his stickiness and bald spots, he would become famous from Bert’s Cove to Bug Light.  Awed mouselings would pass the tale down the generations. It was he who triumphed, and I raise my glass to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment