Sunday, January 2, 2011

Welcome

My grandmother used to say, “It’s hell to get old.”  Usually it was when she couldn’t find her sewing box, but I very young then, and I remember it because “hell” was a strong would for her to use. 

Having arrived at a state of fogiedom, myself, I perceive that old age, like other periods of life, has its blessings and afflictions.  In this blog I won’ t emphasize the aches and pains, but I’m not adopting the philosophy of AARP Magazine, which would have you  believe that old age is exactly like being young, only better. 

Their hero used to be Colonel Sanders, who allegedly started a billion dollar fried chicken business while in his dotage.  They don’t talk about him any more because he’s, you know, d-e-a-d, which is a four-letter-word they never use.  Despite the cruises and the business ventures and the golf and the shuffleboard, old age is a stage of life that always ends rather badly. 

This means we need to take advantage of as many opportunities as we can.  I’ll be writing about places I go and things I do.  Some times we have to rouse ourselves and get out into the world.  Naps are nice too. 

Having left my youth behind, I’m not under the delusion that you’re interested in my every mood.  I promise there’ll be plenty of thoughts in my stream of consciousness that won’t make the cut. I wrote a newspaper column for many years and tried to offer what I thought people wanted to read rather than what I felt like saying.  I’m planning to do that here.  I won’t even afflict you with pictures of my adorable grandchildren.  A cute saying might slip in from time to time, but I’m determined to use restraint.

I call the blog Fogiedom because, in the words of the younger generation, it’s where I’m at.  (Actually they may not say that anymore.  My children used to tell me I should never attempt contemporary slang. It was just too embarrassing.) Anyway, you don’t have to be a fogy to read this blog.  With any luck you’ll achieve this distinguished condition eventually. Even if that’s a long way off, you might find something of interest.

Welcome readers. I hope we all have a great time.

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading your work regularly again, Richmond, although of course I'm too young to qualify as a fogy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see you again! I missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! There are some very good things about fogiedom; like being damn good at what you do, finally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the twinkle of humor that runs through this write-- "old age is a stage of life that always ends rather badly." Yet, we were always facing "d-e-a-d", only pushing it a little harder. :)

    ReplyDelete