Thursday, January 20, 2011

Defying Winter Without Airfare

Usually I can endure winter until at least February before I’m reduced to making tropical drinks, but snow is predicted for tomorrow, and I’m ready.  I’ve had enough snug winter evenings with popcorn, a fire in the fireplace, and smoky single malt Scotch.  Cocoa only reminds me of the danger of back injury incurred while walking to the car.

I once stayed in small hotel in Bermuda.  The food was unbelievably bad.  I thought the appetizer of cold ravioli sounded creative, but it turned out to be three Chef Boyardee patties on a lettuce leaf.  The bartender was a Bermudian named Wellington, and his talents were extraordinary. We asked him if he had a specialty, and he certainly did.

He claimed it was a secret recipe and wouldn’t reveal how he made it, but I ordered it throughout our stay and watched.  Wellington was quick with his hands and never made the drink the same way twice, but I learned from him.  His drinks contained three elements – fruit juice, liqueur, and rum. 

I practiced when I got home.  I found Wellington’s method was hard to screw up, and there’s room for infinite variation.  Pineapple juice is a good base. The big can is cheaper per ounce so long as you don’t leave it to spoil in your refrigerator, which always happens to me. I suggest the six-pack. Mixing your pineapple juice with the fresh juice of an orange brightens it up. 

I usually go for a blend of rums.  Meyers Jamaican dark rum is a good staple to keep on hand. It will work by itself, but can be mixed with silver or amber rum for a more complex flavor.  I’ve heard of putting cranberry juice into the mix, but to me it diminishes the tropical feel.   Try pomegranate. If you just want a red color, a little grenadine will do the trick. 

On one evening I spotted Wellington using banana liqueur and on another apricot brandy.  These have become my staples, but there are plenty of options, and you might dig out old bottles that have worked their way to the back of the liquor cabinet. Exercise your creativity, and if you don’t like what you come up with, you can fix it.  One hazard is getting the drink too sweet, but a little lemon or lime juice will remedy that. 

What you’re making with your fruit juice, liquor, and flavorings is a punch.  You can make it potent and serve with ice it in a highball glass.  I tend to make it weaker and serve it in a glass beer mug. 

What you’re after is an island mood so a garnish is essential.  Maybe it will be just a bit of orange, lime, or pineapple stuck on the top of the glass.  To my way of thinking maraschino cherries are inedible by anyone over the age of eight, but the color is festive, so use them if they suit your style.  Subtlety is uncool in tropical drinks.  If you’re the type who pockets paper drink umbrellas, dust them off and pop them on.  



No comments:

Post a Comment