Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Long Beach, Plymouth

I have beheld Cassiopeia floating above the point
when a lighthouse beam swept in my direction with a flash,
and the dint of my footstep glowed phosphorescent
on the dark, low-tide sand.

I have witnessed meteors burning across the sky,
waded in sunrise shallows probing for heavy clams,
and breakfasted with song sparrows
and the perfume of the wild beach rose. 

I have known nights when bay and harbor
were wild with lightning and torrents of thunder
and wakened to the quiet of a
pastel dawn.

I have supped while northern harriers
glided low over grassy dunes,
been visited by rabbits, acquainted with foxes,
and set upon by diving terns.

I have stepped gently past rare piping plovers nesting near the path,
harvested beach plums and sea lavender,
and played with happy children
under the summer sun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment