Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Fashion Page

Adults who survived the depression and the World War II saw in post-war prosperity the decline of American civilization.  The fashions were alarming.  Jeans were work pants, and the idea of middle-class teenagers wearing them around town was objectionable.  The Ed Sullivan Show was family television, and when Elvis Presley appeared, his sideburns, long hair, and tight pants frightened the fogies.   When I began this blog, I resolved never to forecast the decay of everything for which our forefathers fought and died.  Therefore I merely report what I’ve seen; I don’t interpret. 

One morning a couple of weeks ago I observed a young woman walking down my street wearing a bathrobe over night clothes.  We have in our neighborhood a halfway house for young women who require assistance living their lives, and I thought she might be one of those. A little later, however, I saw her on the front porch of a regular dwelling with three or four companions similarly attired. 

Later that same day I happened to be at the CVS, where I saw a couple shopping in slippers and pajamas.  I reserved judgment.  Today I was driving on South Street, and I observed a woman walking along in pajama bottoms.  She had on a jacket, so I don’t know about the top. 

Once is happenstance, twice coincidence, but three times is a trend.  Will western civilization sink into dissipation like ancient Rome?   We survived jeans in the suburbs and lanky locks heavy with Brylcreem, not to mention rock and roll. What this fashion development may signify about the moral fiber of American youth, I leave to your imagination.  I plan to remain calm.

1 comment:

  1. With time fashion changes but there are certain things that remain the same like pajamas. Pajamas are the most comfortable sleepwear. You can lounge around wearing the comfy pajamas.I love spending my time in pajamas and recently I bought some new holiday pajamas from PajamaMania.com. This family pajama store has a huge collection of pajamas and sleepwear.

    ReplyDelete